- Aghajanian, Akbar, “Population Change in Iran, 1966-86: A Stalled Demographic Transition?” Population and Development Review
17, no. 4 (1991): 703-15, https://doi.org/10.2307/1973603
- Bassett, James, (1886), Persia: The Land of the Imams: A Narrative of Travel and Residence, 1871-1885, New York: Charles Scribner.
- Bellew, Henry Walter, (1874), From the Indus to the Tigris: A Narrative of a Journey Through the Countries of Balochistan, Afghanistan, Khorasan and Iran, in 1872, London: Trubner.
- Brittlebank, William, (1873), Persia During the Famine: A Narrative of a Tour in the East and the Journey Out and Home, London: Basil Montegu Pickering.
- Collingham, Lizzie, (2012), The Taste of War: World War II and the Battle for Food, New York: Penguin Press.
- Davis, Mike, (2002), Late Victorian Holocausts: El Nino Famines and the Making of the Third World, London and New York: Verso.
- Gilbar, Gad G., “Demographic Developments in Late Qajar Persia, 1870-1906,” Asian and African Studies 11, no. 2 (1976): 125-56.
- Goldsmid, Major-General Sir Frederic J., “Journey from Bandar Abbas to Mash-Had by Sistan, with Some Account of the Last-named Province.” Journal of Royal Geographical Society
43 (1873): 65-83, https://doi.org/10.2307/1798621
- Gurney, John and Safatgol, Mansour, (2013) Qom dar Ghahti-e Bozorg-e 1288 (Qom in the Great Famine of 1871-1872), Qom: Grand Ayatollah Marashi Library.
- Jackson, Ashley, (2018), Persian Gulf Command: A History of the Second World War in Iran and Iraq, New Haven and London: Yale University Press; [Ann K. S. Lambton, Lampton papers, 16/37, quoted in page 241].
- MacGregor, Charles M., (1879), Narrative of a Journey Through the Province of Khorasan: N.W. Frontier of Afghanistan, 2 Vols.London: W. H. Allen; quoted in Seyf, “Iran and the Great Famine, 1870-72,” 297.
- Majd, Mohammad Gholi, (2008), From Qajar to Pahlavi: Iran, 1919-1930, Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Majd, Mohammad Gholi, (2013), The Great Famine & Genocide in Iran, 1917-1919, 2nd ed., Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Majd, Mohammad Gholi, (2016), Iran under Allied Occupation in World War II: The Bridge to Victory & A Land of Famine, Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Majd, Mohammad Gholi, (2018), A Victorian Holocaust: Iran in the Great Famine of 1869-1873, Lanham, MD: Hamilton Books.
- McCulloch, J. R., (1841), A Dictionary, Geographical, Statistical, and Historical of Various Countries, Places, and Principle Natural Objects in the World, ed.
- Henry Vethake, London: Longman, Vol. 2, 493, cited in Ahmad Seyf, “Population and Agricultural Development in Iran, 1800-1906,” Middle Eastern Studies
45, no. 3 (2009): 447-60, at 456, https://doi.org/10.1080/00263200902853439
- Millspaugh, Arthur C., (1926), The Financial and Economic Situation in Persia, 1926, New York: Imperial Persian Government/Persia Society.
- Moorehead, Alan, (1943), A Year of Battle, London: Hamish Hamilton.
- Mounsey, August H., (1872), A Journey Through the Caucasus and the Interior of Persia, London: Smith, Elder.
- Mukerjee, Madhursee, (2010), Churchill’s Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II, New York: Basic Books.
- Nashat, Guity, (1982), The Origins of Modern Reform in Iran, 1870-80, Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 39-40; cited in Melville, “Persian Famine of 1870-1872,” 315.
- National Archives and Records Administration, Record Group 59 (RG59), State Department Decimal Files, 891.5018/-, June 17, 1925 (In this article cited NARA, by record group, file, and date).
- Presbyterian Church in the USA, Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions, Correspondence and Reports, 1833-1911 (Wilmington, DE: Scholarly Resources, 1953-1969), Iran (Persia), D3325, microfilm reel 101.
- Shuster, W. Morgan, (1912), The Strangling of Persia, New York: Century Press.
- Slim, William, (2008), Unofficial History, Barnsley, UK: Pen & Sword Books.
- St. John, Oliver B., and Beresfort Lovett, Euan Smith, and W. T. Blanford, (1876), Eastern Persia: An Account of the Journeys of the Persian Boundary Commission, 1870-71-72, intro. Major-General Sir Frederic John Goldsmid, 2 Vols., London: MacMillan.
- Stack, Edward, (1882), Six Months in Persia, 2 Vols., London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, Vol.2.
- Sykes, Sir Percy M., (1921), A History of Persia, 2nd ed., 2 Vols., London: MacMillan.
- Thielmann, Max von, (1875), Journey in the Caucasus, Persia, and Turkey in Asia, trans. Charles Heneage, F. R. G. S., 2 vols. London: John Murray.
- Toye, Richard, (2010), Churchill’s Empire: The World that Made Him and the World He Made, New York: Henry Holt.
- Ussher, John, (1865), A Journey from London to Persepolis: Including Wanderings in Daghestan, Georgia, Armenia, Kurdistan, Mesopotamia, and Persia, London: Hurst and Blackett.
- Wills, C. J. MD, (1883), In the Land of Lion and Sun, or, Modern Persia: Being Experiences of Life in Persia during a Residence of Fifteen Years in Various Parts of that Country from 1866 to 1881, Late One of the Medical Officers of Her Majesty’s Telegraph Department in Persia, London: MacMillan.